Smoke Damage Repair Tips
Though there are many terrible situations in which you may find yourself needing disaster restoration services, smoke damage can be one of the most difficult cleanup challenges you’ll face as a homeowner. Smoke odors are difficult to eliminate, and without the proper methods they can linger indefinitely. Unfortunately, many materials in your home can hold odors for long periods of time and many times the damage continues long after the fire is out.
Much of the material found in furniture and flooring is synthetic. When burned, synthetics create a variety of complex chemical reactions. After only a few days, these items go from cleanable to unsalvageable. In order to remove any odor the source of damage itself must be removed. Though dealing with smoke damage can be difficult there are some actions you can take to protect your property until you can make an appointment with a professional disaster restoration professional. Here’s what to do:
- Do not attempt to wash any papered or flat painted walls without consulting your professional cleaner. Incorrect cleaning procedures could compound the soot residue problem.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture. Again, incorrect procedures could increase damage.
- Do not use electrical appliances that have been close to fire or water before having them checked. They could malfunction.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. A short circuit could result.
- Do not touch anything. Soot on your hands can permeate upholstery, walls, and woodwork, causing further damage.
- Do not eat food that has been exposed to fire or smoke.
- Do not wait to call for professional help.
A professional can help you effectively clean and salvage your property and remove soot from at-risk items such as brass, aluminum, chrome, marble, tile, and porcelain as well as fabrics in upholstery and carpets. Though tedious, taking proper measures when faced with smoke damage can help you to salvage your property and avoid additional expenses.
To learn more about disaster restoration services in Portland, give ServiceMaster of Portland a call today!