Portland Flood Damage Restoration Tips
If your Portland home or business is located in a flood zone, it is important to understand how to tackle the damages should a flood occur. Even outside of flood zones, homes and commercial properties can fall victim to Dallas water damages from a variety of other sources. Once the storm has passed, the damage remains. At ServiceMaster of Portland, we know how devastating Portland flood damage can be and how challenging flood damage cleanup is. Here are a few tips for how best to handle water damage restoration after a flood so you can protect your property from further damage and keep yourself safe.
- Take proper precautions to avoid touching potentially contaminated materials. If a river overflows or heavy rains flood the streets, the water that reaches our property is fully of the various materials picked up from the roads, fertilized fields, or other areas. These contaminants can include bacteria, animal feces, chemicals, and pesticides.
- Be careful when entering the affected building. Do not enter the space until you are certain the power is turned off and the building is structurally sound.
- Avoid direct contact with affected materials. For minor damage, rubber gloves and protective clothing may suffice, but always be very cautious. Depending on the condition of the building, respirators, eye gear, and additional safety measures may be required. If you are unsure of the level of contamination and risk at your property after Portland water damage, contact the professional water restoration experts at ServiceMaster of Portland and have the job done right.
- Some items can be saved. Clothing, small pillows, or other washable items can often be rescued from water damage with a long soak followed by a heavy cycle with hot water in the washing machine.
- Not all items can be salvaged after Portland flooding. Food and hygiene items must be discarded. Other materials that have absorbed potentially contaminated water from the flooding should also be thrown away. This included items such as drywall, insulation, and other porous building materials, or difficult to clean objects including mattresses and couch cushions.
- Affected building materials, including baseboards, drywall, insulation, and other items must be removed if they are saturated. Even if your wood floorboards or other materials can be salvaged, it is important that they be removed to reveal the space below, allowing those spaces to be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected as well.
- Mold prevention is a vital step in Portland flood restoration efforts. Trapped moisture lingering from water damage can lead to a mold infestation. Improper procedures, including removal of compromised materials, dry-out, and disinfection, can create an ideal environment for mold growth.
- Always test the moisture levels before beginning the rebuilding process. Removing the damaged or saturated materials is only the first step. It is vital that the spaces be at normal low moisture levels prior to completing the flood damage restoration Portland. This requires testing with a moisture meter to judge whether it is safe to proceed.
- When in doubt, always call in the water damage restoration professionals at ServiceMaster of Portland. Don’t put your home or business at risk. Our disaster restoration experts understand how best to completely restore the property safely and efficiently, and they come equipped with the most effective technology and techniques.